There is a famous saying in marketing that
“Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is, I don’t know which half” - John Wanamaker
But why is it that the mass marketing can be so ineffective?
When it comes down to it there are two main reasons that marketing might not work.
1) You don’t have Product / Market fit (the customers you are selling to don’t want what you’re selling)
2) You are reaching customers at the wrong stage of awareness for your product.
That second reason is what I’ll be discussing in this post.
If you don’t reach people at their awareness stage, then you can’t effectively market to them.
It’s important when marketing a product to think about what stage of awareness your prospects are at. This is know as the level or stage of awareness (popularized by Eugene Schwartz in his famous book Breakthrough Advertising).
These five stages of awareness are:
1) Unaware: They are unaware of the problem you solve
2) Problem Aware: They are aware of the problem you solve
3) Solution Aware: They are aware of the solution category you provide (but not necessarily you)
4) Your Solution Aware: They are aware of you and your solution
5) Most Aware: They are fully aware of what you offer and just need to be convinced to buy now (or re-purchase)